Lifetime Student

As evidenced by this blog's very existence, I have a multitude of interests. I always have. A frequent refrain from my mother as I was growing up was "Well, what next?" because I would no sooner accomplish something than I was moving on to the next endeavor. I tended to think of myself as a "Jane of All Trades" but that never really sat right with me because the second part of that quote, "Master of None" didn't feel good on my ego ;) Recently my husband and I were discussing the fact that my two year tenure as PTA President was coming to a close and he asked me "Well, what are you going to do next?" It was a topic I'd been thinking about a lot, because that role has taken up a huge portion of my time. Of course it will be really nice to have more down time, but, simply put, I function better as a human when I have a full schedule. To be sure, I enjoy not always having to complete a project on a deadline, but for me there will always be a project. Or four. During our discussion, my husband (who himself is a project kind of guy) stated it perfectly: "I'll always be a student of whatever I'm interested in."

The student concept fits me just right, because I am always interested in learning more about the subjects and hobbies that I love. I feel very confident in my abilities and talents in my profession as a hair stylist, but that is a job that definitely requires one to keep learning and studying. New trends, techniques and tools come out all the time and it is really important to stay current so that I continue to meet my clients' needs. But aside from work, my pastimes like gardening, cooking, baking and running are all subjects that I love to study and learn more about.  A friend was over recently and was admiring my Jeep Wrangler and before I knew it I was telling him about my long time love affair with Jeeps and how I'd always wanted a CJ-7 which they stopped making in 1983 and yada yada yada... I laughed when I realized I was going on and on, but it is a perfect example of how I enjoy learning about the things that make me happy.

So what is up next for me?
Well, this blog for one thing, because it is a great way for me to write about the things that are important to me.
I'm working on doing more with my Drankin & Bakin side business, and I'm hosting a kids' baking camp at my house this summer.
I'm slowly putting together a couple of family cookbooks. *Keyword is SLOWLY.
My garden continues to grow larger and more diverse every year.
My kids will both start at a new school in the Fall, which opens up all kinds of new fun volunteer opportunities for me to get involved in.

Really, I just want to continue to be a full time student of life and all of the things that bring me joy, from Jeeps to new running shoes to a new variety of tomato plant. Thanks for following along!


Comments

Popular Posts