Holiday Prep!!

Ahhh the holiday season! So many parties and celebrations and meals. I adore holiday feasts; I mean, lets be honest, I love food. But we all know that the holidays can add extra stress, so the best thing to do is to plan for it so we can manage it. Even for someone like me who LOVES to cook and bake, if I don't have a plan it can feel like all work and no play. For the purposes of this post I am focusing on Thanksgiving, and here are my tips for a less stressful holiday season...

1. Start early!
Whether you are hosting or are a guest, knowing ahead of time what is expected of you is the first step. My family does a rotating system: someone hosts at their home and cooks the turkey and everyone else brings sides and desserts. I still do a small turkey and sides for the four of us, so I include that in my prep. I start planning a few weeks ahead.

2. Plan your menu and grocery list
What do you want to cook? That will determine what you need to buy. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT wait till the last minute to shop. You will be left with slim pickins. Make your lists and buy everything in advance. Trust me.

3. Thaw your turkey in advance.
Thawing a frozen turkey in the fridge takes 24 hours for every 5lbs.

4. Brining your turkey?
Pick your recipe and plan to brine for a couple of days before you plan to cook it.

5. Lots of pies and baked goods can be made a couple of days in advance.
In fact, some desserts do better if they have set in the fridge for at least 24 hours. 

6. Prep, prep, prep!
Thaw, wash, chop, all the things!

7. Do you have essentials?
Ice, napkins, enough plates, chairs?

8. Make a schedule
What takes the longest to cook? Can two things share an oven? Are there dishes that can be served room temperature?

9. Make sure you have wine/seltzer/cider
I mean, really. This goes without saying. Not only do your guests need goodies, so do you.

Just a little planning can make things a bit easier. After all, it is YOUR holiday too!


Comments

Popular Posts