Aint nobody got time for that: Why I meal plan and prep

Ok, I know I've posted about meal planning before, but seriously you guys, this time of year it is essential for us, for the following reasons:

1. Science Fair and Literacy Fair: one in kid in the first, both kids in the second
2. After School Enrichment programs- both kids
3. Spring musical begins- I am in charge of props and Roy has rehearsals twice a week
4. Lots of activities with the PTA board
5. I've added on a couple of blogging gigs
6. I actually have a job outside of all the other activities
7. I actually have a life outside of all the other activities

I list these things not to elicit sympathy, but to explain that time is of the essence and I must be organized so that I can enjoy my life. As I've been meal planning and prepping for a while now, I have fine tuned the process so that it works best for our life. Here is what works for us:

1. Do your meal planning before you write your grocery list. This way you ensure that you know what ingredients you need.

2. Plan sides that can do double duty. For example, our Monday meal has steamed rice, so I made double the amount so that I can make shrimp fried rice on Tuesday.  (Fried rice is always better with day old rice)

3. Leave yourself a free night. Some days I just don't wanna cook, no matter how easy it may be. Those days I call Kid's Choice and they can, within reason, have freedom to choose take-out.

4. If you have differing tastes in the family, leave one night where the family can mix and match. For example, we usually have pasta once a week, but everyone likes different sauces on it. So I just cook whatever pasta and one kid an add olive oil and salt, one can add pesto, and the husband and I can add a red or cream sauce. Those are all easy to keep in the fridge.


I can't tell you how much more smoothly life goes when we don't have to ask the "What's for dinner?" question. I'd much rather spend an hour or so planning and prepping on Sunday than scramble for an hour every day during the week.

Comments

Popular Posts