Groceries and Planning

Recently a friend and I were talking about my weekly meal planning and prep, and we started talking about grocery shopping. After all, you can't cook without ingredients! She was interested in where I get my inspiration and what products I buy from which stores. So here we go, my breakdown of what I buy and how I plan accordingly!

I shop at three grocery stores. In a perfect world, it would only be one, but that ain't happening because each of them is very specific.

#1 Costco
Bulk Necessities

This is where we get things that we can store for a while or need in large quantity. It is cost effective and they have lots of good organic things! We used to get lots of meat here and freeze it, but recently we have gone *mostly* vegetarian, so not so much anymore

*Eggs
*Milk
*Protein shake mix
*Flour
*Almond Milk
*Coffee creamer
*Greek yogurt
*Juice boxes
*Rice
*Granola bars and snacks
*Toilet paper
*Paper towels
*Dog food


#2 Kroger
Day to day stuff and basic produce

Richmond folks are funny about their grocery stores. With the recent influx of new, European chains, everyone seems to be set on their favorites. Me, I'm a Kroger girl. Have been for years and don't see it changing. PLUS, now ClickList has changed my life. I can order things online, pay online and never even have to get out of my car!

*Organic fruits and veggies
*Seafood
*Pasta
*Orange juice
*Condiments


#3 Little House Green Grocery
Ok, this is my favorite store in the world. I love it. A small, local grocery store in the Northside, I adore everything about it. They carry local products, organic produce, prepared foods, amazing beer and wine, local meats like Sausage Craft, treats like King of Pops, plus local artisans work. I wish I could get everything here!

*Local produce
*Organic meats and cheeses
*Fun, locally produced condiments
*Craft beers and organic wines
*Delicious treats

I do my shopping weekly (sometimes have to supplement and get treats from Little House) according to my meal planning for the week. I usually shop on Saturday and prep on Sunday. Anything that needs to be thawed or marinated or chopped. I plan out our meals for each day of the week based on what our schedule is. Are we all home? Do the kids have play practice or music lessons? My goal is to be prepared so that I only need to spend 20-30 mins actually cooking. My kids (and me!) are starving and ready to eat EARLY, so having to hear "What's for dinner?" and not have an answer is maddening. I allow flexibility, we can switch meals around a bit if needed, but having a plan instead of being lost at 5:00 is the best thing I ever did.

So what works for you?






Comments

  1. Love this! Don't judge, but I have a list for my regular Kroger by aisle so I can cruise from one side to the other & then be done. There's a smaller section for Little House & Target on the same sheet (not by aisle) & a section below for meal planning for the week. Saves me money b/c I mostly buy what I need for cooking. Print them out double sided and they're ready to roll.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts