The importance of cake





"A party without cake is just a meeting"
                                                                                    -Julia Child


Some of my first, and best, memories are about cake. For my entire childhood my mother made sure I had a different themed cake every year for my birthday. In fact, this went on well into my adulthood :) It was a big deal every year to see the big reveal of what that year's theme was going to be. I remember my childhood filled with a  GIANT Smurfette cake, my cheerleader cake and my unicorn cake, among many others. In fact, I think my obsession with blue icing came from that mouth watering Smurfette! I have very fond memories of my Gaga's black walnut pound cake, which she swore was never quite right but was always absolute perfection. Two of my Aunt's share a birthday (8 years apart, but the same day!) and the younger always insisted on my Gaga's special pineapple cake to be HER birthday cake alone. I remember sneaking pieces of the Pepperidge Farm coconut icebox cake that was frequently in my grandparent's fridge when I stayed with them. I don't even LIKE coconut, but there was something so right about that cake...Long story short, cake has always held a special place in my heart. 

Which leads me to think about why. Why is it so important? Other than the obvious satisfying of the sweet tooth, what is the significance to me? 

* Baking a cake is not a quick thing. It requires procuring ingredients, baking, cooling and decorating. We're talking at least a couple of hours. Baking a cake from scratch is a commitment, and I think that commitment is significant.

*Baking is an art and a science. It's not like cooking where you can add a dash of this and a dash of that. This is chemistry people!!

*Cake makes people happy. Maybe not everyone loves cake, but the vast majority of people I know do. You may be a cake person or an icing person or both together person, all of which are entirely acceptable. But it's hard not to smile when there is a homemade cake around. 

*When someone bakes a cake for you, they are putting a little bit of themselves into it. You don't get homemade cake without a little bit of love.

*I 100% believe that it is good for your soul.


We don't do store bought sweets very often, because I prefer home baked goodies for our family. I've even made a side hustle out of it because I love baking so much! It is a great way for me to express my love, showcase my creativity and make others happy. And I've continued the tradition that I was raised with: my kids get special themed cakes each year for their birthdays. Sometimes I make them, sometimes I hire them out if the request is above my skill level. But they are full of love, each and every time. 


Comments

Popular Posts