Yes it is

Motherhood is hard.
I recently read an article disputing this fact and it really bugged me.

We all have different perspectives on motherhood based on our unique experiences, and that author is totally entitled to their opinion, but I have to vehemently disagree.

I recognize my privilege: I am not struggling financially, I have a supportive, egalitarian relationship with an amazing husband. We have a nice house, nice cars, kids go to a fantastic school. We can take vacations and don't have to worry about basic needs being met. Those things make parenting a hell of a lot easier to deal with. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is true: basic needs have to be met first before you can flourish.

What the article did not address was the emotional struggles. The "heart walking around on the outside of your body" issues. The fact that you will experience every emotion x1000.

So no, my life is not hard. And no, I am not the mom who thinks I am supposed to complain about how difficult motherhood is to have my feelings affirmed.

But that doesn't make it easy. Emotionally, motherhood is soul wrenching in ways I never imagined.
It is hard.
Yes, it is.

Comments

Popular Posts