Building bookshelves to build a family

For our first Christmas together, 13 years ago, Russell built me a small bookcase. It had two shelves and was stained a honey color, with a pattern of stars on it. I loved it. Of course he was critical of its flaws, what he could have done differently, but I thought it was perfect. He had built it at his mother's house since he didn't exactly have room in his apartment, which meant he had to not only take the time to actually build and stain it, but drive out to a different location to do so.

Looking back on it now I find it pretty symbolic that the first gift he ever gave me was a bookshelf, something that holds a special spot in my heart. It has lived in four different houses and now sits in our upstairs landing.

That was the first of many things that Russell has built for me and our children. He designed and completely remodeled the kitchen in our first home when Stella was an infant. And I mean he ripped everything out, down to the studs in the walls. He made the concrete countertops, installed the slate tile floors, and built a new pantry. By himself, he worked nights and weekends for 6 months. It was chaos, but it was worth it. He put his heart and soul into that kitchen, just as he puts his heart and soul into his family. Built-in bookshelves in the living room, a two-story playhouse for the kids, a loft bed for Roy...the man shows his love with blood, sweat and tears. Hard work is Russell's love language. 

Here we are now, almost 13 years later, and my husband is once again building me shelves. Floor to ceiling floating shelves in my new library. 7 shelves, 15+ feet long, anchored by steel beams. He has meticulously gone over each piece to ensure that they meet his very exacting standards. After working long hours each day, he is still dedicating time to the project because he knows how much I will love the end result. Our relationship has, in many ways, been built with his own two hands. Every project has come from a place of love and I am so thankful every day of my life for his dedication to his work on those projects and his work on our marriage. 








And now, the job is complete! Pardon me while I curl up in my reading chair and settle in to my new library.

Comments

Popular Posts