Time to be thankful, ya'll!

Thanksgiving is upon us once again, the time where we are supposed to reflect upon our lives and count our blessings. I'll be the first to admit that this year has been a rough one. Really rough. It seems as though most people I've encountered in my little corner of the world have had more than the usual challenges this year. We lost some amazing artists: Bowie, Prince, Fife (Tribe Called Quest) to name but a few. I lost my beloved grandmother at the beginning of the year and that has been a heavy weight to carry around. We've had a car accident, work challenges, school challenges, financial challenges. Friends have lost loved ones, had severe health issues and even had homes destroyed by storms. I won't even touch upon the social and political climate this year...ugh.

And yet...
The eternal optimist in me cannot help but be thankful for the amazing life my family has. The death of my GaGa has brought us all closer together. We do our best to honor her legacy: family comes first. I have a hard-working, dedicated husband. I have two ridiculously smart, kind, compassionate children. Both of our small businesses are doing well. We are all in good health. Our home is a beautiful sanctuary away from the craziness of the world. We are surrounded by love from friends and family. While we never know what the future may bring or what challenges we will face next, we do know that we will face them together. And it is for that, most of all, that I am Thankful.

So now on to the festivities!

My family always gathers together, the whole crew, to feast and fellowship. This year my husband, kids and I will also be having a small feast at our home before heading out to hang with the rest of the family. Stella helped me make place cards and we also made a Thankful Tree. Each of us contributed two things we were thankful for. The tree was a small, pre-lit decorative tree and I found blank gift tags to write out notes on.


Our menu this year is pretty simple, with two main showstoppers. First, our turkey this year is a heritage breed from Keenbell Farms. While reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (GO READ IT ASAP), I learned about the importance of supporting local farms so that heritage breeds aren't lost forever to our culture. Local farms that are sustainable carry on the traditions of environmentally sound farming, which benefits everyone. Kingsolver is much more eloquent than I could be on the subject, (for real, this book changed my life) so suffice it to say it is a very important agricultural issue. Keenbell Farm is a 3rd generation farm in Hanover, VA, striving to bring back the relationship between farmers and consumers.  I am so excited to taste the difference in the turkey this year. 
Second, the dessert. Baking is something I truly love to do, and I really enjoy trying new recipes every year for my family. This time around it will be Pecan Pie Cheesecake! If the name alone doesn't get you drooling, check out the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/pecan-pie-cheesecake.html


The rest of the menu:
Yukon gold mashed potatoes
Giblet gravy
Cast iron skillet green bean casserole
Stuffing
Russell's homemade rolls

From our family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!


Comments

Popular Posts