Supportive

I'm a bit tired of something. Well, lots of things truly, but I'll just focus on this one for now. It is people claiming to be "Supportive" of something, when they really mean that they just "tolerate" something. Supportive means to provide understanding and emotional help. Tolerate means to simply allow something to exist. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Let me give you some examples.

*I support breastfeeding, but not in public
*I support a woman's right to choose, but only if I think her reason is good enough for my standards
*I support LGBTQ rights, but I don't want to see that lifestyle
*I support religious freedom, but only for my religion

All of these examples are really just tolerance, not being supportive. People seem to think that they can just say they support something, but not actually do anything helpful. So if you tell a mother that you are a breastfeeding advocate, but she really needs to cover up in public, you DO NOT SUPPORT IT.  If you tell your co-worker that he should be able to love or marry who he wants, but you don't understand why he has to "push the Gay Agenda", you ARE NOT BEING SUPPORTIVE. When you say you support the ERA but don't *actually* believe that women should work in certain fields, you DO NOT SUPPORT EQUAL RIGHTS. To borrow from  The Princess Bride, You keep using that word, but I don't think you know what it means.


Think about the message you're sending.

Are you coming from a place of love to support someone, or trying to make yourself feel better?

Let's do a little soul searching here people, because empty sentiment doesn't help anyone.

*climbs off soapbox

Comments

Popular Posts