Tomato Season Y'all!

If you know me and we've talked for more than 5 mins, then you probably know that one of my most favorite things in the world is a homegrown tomato. This time of year you will find me in my garden at least twice a day, stalking my babies as they grow and ripen. I plant tried and true varieties each year and I also experiment with at least one new type. This year I have Purple Cherokees, Better Boys, Early Girls, German Queen, Beefsteak and a Mystery plant that just volunteered and showed up on its' own. I simply won't eat a tomato out of season, and I can't remember the last time I bought one from a grocery store. Nope, can't do it. My right bicep has a beautiful tattoo of a sliced tomato with some basil leaves. Yep,  I'm committed.

So with all of the goodness growing in my garden, I love coming up with recipes for all of the goodness. Honestly, my favorite way to eat a fresh tomato is to just pick it off the vine, sprinkle it with salt and eat it like an apple. My PaPa is the person who turned me on to the beauty of a fresh tomato, and I have vivid memories of spending time with him in his garden. It is a very nostalgic and joyful part of me. So I thought I'd share two of my recipes and spread the tomato love!


EASY TOMATO SOUP

8 medium sized tomatoes (any variety, but I love big meaty tomatoes for soup)
One whole white onion
6 garlic cloves, whole
2 chopped carrots
3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
8-10 fresh basil leaves
8-10 fresh parsley leaves
*Parmesan cheese rind*

Chop all the veggies and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and roast on 375 for 25-30 mins.
Let them cool, then add to blender with fresh herbs. Puree until smooth. Add to large pot with cream and rind of parmesan cheese if you have it. Just the rind, not actual cheese; it will add an extra depth to the soup.  Season with more salt and pepper, bring to a slow boil, reduce to simmer for 15 mins.  
*This soup freezes really well, so make extra to put in the freezer!

TOMATO GRATIN

6-8 medium sized tomatoes, different varieties 
8-10 fresh basil leaves
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup freshly grated parmesan
Olive oil
Medium sized baking dish

Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Drizzle olive oil in bottom of baking dish. Place one layer of tomatoes in dish, sprinkle generously with cheese and breadcrumbs, scatter a few basil leaves and sprinkle with salt,  pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Repeat until all tomatoes are used. Top with final coating of parm and bread crumbs, bake at 375 for 30 mins or until top is golden brown. 
*This is an amazing addition to brunch!


This is my tomato tattoo, right under my tribute tattoo for my PaPa. I think he'd approve :)


Comments

Popular Posts