Blue Apron #3- The Finale!


Here we are, at the end of our free Blue Apron trial. Tonight was our third meal, and I gotta say, it was my favorite. It was homey and comfy and delicious. The meal was Seared Chicken and Mashed Potatoes, with a side of kale and mushrooms. Super minimum prep work, very few ingredients that came together for a meal I will absolutely make again.





I've included the actual recipe on this one because I loved it so much I wanted to share!



I mean really, how beautiful is that meal??

One of my favorite things about the recipes that we have followed this week is how they instruct the cook to season the food at every stage of cooking, which is something I have found to be very important in the kitchen. You can't season once and forget it, or you will have bland food. Tasting as you go, no matter what you're cooking is key. With this meal, my only complaint is that the butter they provided was definitely NOT enough for the potatoes. I mean, here in the South, mashed potatoes have some FOR REAL butter! Not two tablespoons! But that is a simple fix, and once again, the reason that you taste and season along the way.

So what is my final take on Blue Apron?
Pros:
No planning required
No shopping required
Minimal prep work
Minimal time required
Pre-portioned ingredients
Fresh, mostly organic, ingredients
No waste
New ideas!
$64 for three meals for two people is much cheaper than going out

Cons
You still have to plan for other dinners
If you have kids you'd have to upsize the plan
No leftovers
In my experience it is cheaper to shop for ingredients that can be used in a variety of ways and recipes throughout the week

While it was fun to do this for a week, it would not be a service that would be practical for my family. I prefer to cook bigger portions and then freeze some for future meals and also to cook enough for lunch leftovers the next day. I think it is a great idea for families of just two or three or for single people or for those that have really long work hours. For me, the best part was getting new ideas and tips for me to try in the future mixed in to my regular rotation for meals. The citrus rice from the pork dish and the chicken breasts from tonight's meal will totally be utilized in my meal planning. 

Next up:
I will be trying some Wildtree freezer meal planning/recipes from my friend Angie, who is a rep for that company. Yummmmyyyyy!












Comments

  1. Love this! We saved our recipes, too, from Hello Fresh and Plated! We should swap recipes at my next appointment! :) Looking forward to your take on Wildtree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice used to get these all the time, and we had some real ups and downs with it. Some real interesting ideas, but had issues with rotten veg on multiple occasions, and they tended to use raw garlic and vinegar as a dressing/sauce way too often. The best thing I got out of it was trying some new vegetables and starches that I probably would not have sought out previously.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts