The Power of No

How are you at saying "no"?
Does the word stick in your throat?
Do you feel guilty or selfish if you say it?
Do you tell yourself that you "just can't"?
Does saying yes feel like an obligation?

I feel ya.
Sometimes I still feel that way too. But one of my favorite things about being in my 40's is that I am a lot more comfortable owning the word NO. And that is a powerful thing. The beauty of saying no is that it opens you up to saying YES to so many other things.

No, I can't volunteer at that event.
No, I don't work weekends any longer.
No, I won't be able to attend that party.
No, we aren't buying that toy.
No, I am not interested in switching cable providers.
No, I don't want an epidural and no, I'm not trying to win a medal.
No, I don't want another drink.
No, I don't want to go out with you.
No, I do not agree with you.
No, I will not allow you to dictate what happens with my body.
No, I will not be quiet.
No, I will not get over it.

Opening yourself up to the power of no allows you to be more in control of you, your life, your time, your choices.

You can have more time to yourself.
You can spend more time with your family.
You can stay home in your pajamas.
You can put away money in savings.
You can establish boundaries.
You can educate others.
You can stand up for yourself.
You can evoke change.
You can respect yourself.


Know that saying no is not a selfish act, anymore than saying yes is a generous one. YOU are the only one who gets to decide what works for you. Take charge of your power.


Comments

Popular Posts