Drankin & Bakin: Mint Chocolate Chip cupcakes

So I was browsing through Facebook the other day and I saw a post about a mint chocolate chip cake, which I thought was a brilliant idea. Mint chocolate chip ice cream is my absolute favorite dessert on earth! As a purist, I really hate it when mint chocolate chip is green: ugh, so artificial looking :( Personal choice, I know, but I just cannot stand it. So the problem with the recipe I read was that the author added food coloring to the icing to make it green; that just will not do. So I decided to make my own version, without food coloring, in a cupcake form. Hope you enjoy!

  
I mean, obviously this shirt was made for me.


One of my all time favorites!


Devil's Food cake batter just makes me so happy


Getting creative to come up with a mint icing:
buttercream with pure mint extract plus chocolate chips


The finished product! I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the result




Devil's Food Cake Recipe: (an oldie but a goodie)
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir. Add Milk, butter and vanilla and beat on low til combined. Then beat on high for two minutes. Add eggs and beat for two more minutes. Pour into cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.


Mint Buttercream
2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips plus more for decoration

Cream butter in mixer until creamy. Add sugar, milk and mint extract and whip until light and fluffy. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. 
Frost cupcakes and sprinkle on additional chocolate chips.

Comments

Popular Posts