Simple ain't easy

Simplify.
Make it simple.
Keep it simple.
Do things simply.

Yeah, all of those sound great, but I'm here to tell ya, it ain't that easy. It sounds great, and I fully agree with the principle, but I think the concept is deceptive. There is a difference between Simple and Easy.

For example:
Fried chicken is simple, but it sure as hell ain't easy to do it right. Ask any Southerner.

Having platinum hair is simple in theory, but tough to achieve. Ask any stylist.

Painting a room is simple, but I'll be damned if I can do it well.

Getting married is simple, but BEING married...well.

 There is beauty in simplicity. But we frequently put a lot of gut-wrenching, soul-checking hard work into the simple things in life. So while I am not a "Resolution" type of person, I sure as hell am the type of person who sets goals. So My big goal for 2017 is not to simplify my life, but to see the beauty in the simple things and still appreciate the genius inherent in that simplicity.

My daughter's laughter.

My son's dimple.

The zen-like feeling I get when doing a really good blow-out on a client.

Whipping up homemade whipped cream.

The perfect cat-eye with liquid liner.

Hearing two notes of a song and having it instantly lift my mood.

The smell of a new book.

All of these simple things, simple pleasures, mean even more to me as this new year starts because 2016 was a rough one, the year that I lost my grandmother, who was the queen of appreciating the simple things. For her, and for my sanity, it's time to embrace this life.





Comments

Popular Posts